The Struggles of the Drugstore Concealer

11 January 2017

Does anyone else walk into Boots or Superdrug wanting that one concealer all the beauty bloggers are talking about? You go and swatch it on the back on your hand, and oh wait as per usual it is too dark for your skin and yet you swatched the lightest shade!

Now this happens to me on an occasional basis and it frustrates me so much. I mean, how hard is it for drugstore brands to bring out a concealer that is light enough for us pale people out there? 
Do not get me wrong, i have found a few which just about match my skin tone, but what if i want to do what everyone else does and buy a concealer a shade lighter so I can make my under eyes pop?

Now i would say i have tried probably nearly all drugstore concealers and had no luck for my skin, so I tend to steer clear of them and use high end concealers which cost double the price...but a girls got to cover those under eye circles.

I think the lightest drugstore concealer i have found has got to be the Collection lasting perfecting concealer (Fair 1). Of course the issue with this concealer is if you have dry under eyes or do not like full coverage under your eyes like i do then steer clear, as it will cake on you. It is an amazing concealer for spot covering but under my eyes it is just a disaster. 

The second drugstore concealer that is maybe a little too dark for my skin tone but i can sometimes just about get away with it is the Rimmel London Wake me up concealer (010 Ivory). I love this concealer it does what it says on the bottle, but again their lightest shade is a little too dark on my skin tone and my under eyes look orange compared to the rest of my face.

The third drugstore concealer which you would have all heard about and no doubt all went out and brought is the Maybelline Instant Anti-Age the eraser eye (Light). Great concealer again, but i wouldn't dare use it unless i had a tan, because yet again if i use this i get those lovely orange under eyes which does not look good. 

So we have made it to the final drugstore concealer i wanted to mention and it is actually my favourite and just about does what i want it to. It doesn't quite highlight my under eyes but it a very close match to my skin and it does look beautiful. It is of course the Bourjois Radiance Reveal concealer (01 Ivory). This concealer is the closest to my skin tone, the radiance it gives off makes it almost irredescent so it gives that tiny bit of highlight a girl needs under her eyes. Although, this is my favourite and i will admit i am now on my third one, i will nearly always use a high end concealer due to the colour match.



Left to Right. Maybelline Instant Anti-Age The Eraser Eye (Light), Bourjois Radiance Reveal Concealer (01 Ivory), Rimmel Wake Me Up (010 Ivory), Collection Lasting Perfection (Fair 1)

So lets recap, drugstores need to up their game with concealers. They need to bring out more than three shades of the product and make them a shade lighter. I have only mentioned a few drugstore concealers, but these for me are the better ones out there, even though the colour match is not quite right. 

Recently i discovered the NYX pro foundation mixer in shade White. Now it is a hassle and when you're doing your makeup in 10 minutes, mixing you concealer with this is just a hassle. If you have time in the morning to use this product then do, it allows you to mix your perfect shade of concealer or foundation and saves you having an orange face against a pale neck.

I envy all of you out there who don't have the everyday struggles of having pale skin...I think most of you pale beauties will have learnt by now that ro get that concealer that makes your under eyes highlighted you have to spend more.

Have you found a drugstore concealer which is pale enough for your skin? 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Pale Skin Blog. Design by Fearne.